Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Ben's WIC appointment

Well, Ben had his WIC appointment today. He weighs 16 pounds and 5 ounces. Milk does a body good! There were a lot of new moms there with little babies. All of them were bottle feeding what i presumed was formula to their babies. One of the moms even got up to smoke twice while she was waiting. When I got to see the nutritionist she asked me if Ben was eating food yet. I said no he doesn't seem ready yet. She gave me the new vouchers for 6 month old infants to start next month. For Ben he is allowed to get 64 jars of vegetables or fruit, 31 jars of meat (yuck), and 3 boxes of infant cereal. I may offer him some of the fruit later when he is ready but the rest can wait or never be bought. I am sure when he is ready to eat food he will pull it off of my plate. On another note the nutritionist wanted me to start him on a sippy cup so that he would be off of the bottle by a year old. I told her that I was hoping that he would nurse till he was done and then just transition to an open cup. She looked at me like I was crazy. To me a sippy cup with a valve and a soft spout is still just a bottle. Most children are older than one when they no longer need to satisfy a sucking need and can turn up a cup to drink. If we all were meant to drink without sucking there would not be any sports bottles or straws!!

No comments:

Post a Comment